Wednesday, October 1, 2008

An evening with the internet

Hello good friends,
Tonight I would like to let other smart people speak for me, so be prepared for links galore!
I have been reading Shambhala; The Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chogyam Trungpa (founder of Naropa), and while the name is a bit dramatic, as Buddhists sometimes are, I highly recommend it. It is extremely readable and profound. I start to understand how Trungpa was such a respected leader and teacher, despite his questionable lifestyle choices. But why do so many great leaders have to create such a scandalous life for themselves? Anybody?
Well, read the book and follow me toward the way of the Great Eastern Sun, or else these blogs may become increasingly hard to interpret as I pepper them with this type of Buddhist secret language.
http://www.amazon.com/Shambhala-Sacred-Warrior-Chogyam-Trungpa/dp/1590304519/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222925881&sr=8-1
In further food for thought, I have been watching Ted talks all night and my mind is spinning on some of what I have seen. The funny thing is that I really am starting to see things from a Buddhist perspective, and this talk even references a Buddhist quote as an ancient wisdom that is now backed up by research: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind.html
Okay, one more link. I listened to this week's "This American Life" and found it deeply inspiring (though I must confess this is my reaction to almost every episode of that show).
http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=364
Listen, and see if you can find the connection between this, Jonathan Haidt's talk, and Buddhist philosophy. I know I did!
My mind is too full of other people's ideas to articulate my own at the moment, but if you want to philosophize with me start with these links and we'll get some cyber-coffee or something.

No comments: