Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Empty cyber Space

Well at least two people have mentioned my lack of blogging in the last week, and since it has been noticed I suppose that gives me motivation to go on (you know us performer types--we always need an audience to find our motivation). Actually, I have spent the last week exploring empty cyber-space, waiting for something to arise from nothing. Empty space has been on my mind a lot, since I have been re-reading the book with the same title by the brilliant Peter Brook. I read it in college but did not know or care what he was talking about, really. Reading it again I find every word to be gospel. Here's a quote, just for kicks: "to comprehend the visibility of the invisible is a life's work". Wendell also presented his first "lecture" this week, on the history of Viewpoints, which really turned into a talk about how Buddhism and Eastern thought have affected Western art, and how the idea that everything came out of nothing is the Buddhist creation myth. He says this is also the concept that we are working with in our theatrical empty space. The empty space is ripe with all of the potential there can be.
Today I had a Fever conversation with Jacob during my lunch break, and when I came back to class I actually felt feverish. I had this same reaction when I talked Fever with Amber last night. Perhaps Fever actually is contagious! During my feverish period while I was trying to focus today I thought about all of these people in my class, some of whom have brought their partners, dogs and lives to Boulder with them, some who have left it all behind. I am one of the latter, though my Feverishness proves I haven't really left it all behind. I think I was trying to do an experiment with empty space in my life, one that I have never done before. I empty out my life so that I can see the potential of it. I don't have a good capper today, so I will end randomly with another quote from The Empty Space by Peter Brook:
"The theatre is the last forum where idealism is still an open question."

1 comment:

stranger in a strange van said...

good job kate. nice application of the empty space to your life as a whole.
next post--unicorn mountain?